THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF MANUAL SMALL INCISION CATARACT SURGEONS (ISMSICS) is an organization to promote excellence, accessibility and in cataract surgery. The organization aims to improve outcomes of cataract surgery while providing better vision to patients at an affordable cost. The organization is surgeon focused and surgeon driven- of, for and by cataract surgeons.
ISMSICS is dedicated organization to research and development in the field of cataract surgery, especially manual small incision cataract surgery, to make cataract surgery more accessible, affordable and give patients the best of vision.
Long long ago, Sushruta (India) started suture less and no anesthesia cataract surgery out of compulsion. Now also we are doing suture less and no anesthesia cataract surgery but not out of compulsion- out of choice. Though the concept remains the same the evolution of this method has undergone a quantum change.
The last two decades have witnessed major advances in the techniques of Phacoemulsification. There were also parallel developments in the field of MSICS. In fact MSICS presented more variations in techniques compared to Phacoemulsification. Learning curve for MSICS is more painful, but training programs are very few.
To bridge this gap, ISMSICS was conceived. Surgeons, especially those from underdeveloped and developing countries always felt left out in the machine dominated cataract surgery, now with ISMSICS these surgeons can give expression to their aspirations and achievements.
Phaco surgeons also can look upon MSICS as an additional tool in their armamentarium, which will help them tide over certain tricky situations. ISMSICS has stalwarts from developed as well as developing countries as patrons.
Most of the office bearers are experts in MSICS as well as Phacoemulsification. While the focus of the organization is on manual SICS, we recognize that phacoemulsification with foldable lens is the surgery of choice for many cataract surgeons. The organization strives to have the best of cataract surgery by each technique and not to belittle one or the other.
ISMSICS was born on 30th August 2005 in Mumbai. Dr. Amulya Sahu, at that time President of Bombay Ophthalmologist’s Association became the founder President of ISMSICS.
1st Live surgical International meet on MSICS was held on 30th August 2005 at Wockhardt Hospital Mumbai total eight live surgery of different method of MSICS was presented.
- To promote quality cataract surgery the world over.
- To promote cataract surgery techniques that are affordable, accessible and appropriate for the patient’s eye.
- To train cataract surgeons from all over the world, providing them a common platform for various activities.
- To promote SICS Surgery amongst practicing Ophthalmologists, students, PGS , teaching hospital etc.
- To have district level Conference, State, national and international meets. Participate as teachers in international meets like ESCRS ASCRS, AAO etc. interact with state & Central governments, WHO & NGO’s so that they have a better picture of cataract procedures and budgeting advantages.
- Give certificates to trained surgeons.
- To give certified teachers certificates .
- Courses on teaching the teachers.
- To provide accreditation to establishment for MSICS Surgery.
- To give wide publicity to this method amongst public, in paper indirectly by articles of public interest.
- To prepare common brochures, patient literatures, hand outs, CDs etc. to be handed over to patients.
- To arrange individual training programme all over the country and aboard.
- To prepare text books and CDs for beginners.
- To have good web sites and discussion forum.
- To encourage articles, research etc. to be published in various journals
- To offer fellowship to youngsters wanting to learn
- Dr. Luther I. Fry (USA)
Dr. Geoffrey Tabin (USA)
Dr. T. P. Lahane
Dr. R. D. Ravindran
Dr. Debasish Bhattacharya
- Dr. Anil Kulkarni
Dr. S. Nataranjan
Dr. Anita Panda
Dr. B. K. Nayak
Prof. Dr. K. P. S. Malik
- Dr. Ashok Garg
Dr. Rajeev Raut
Dr. Peter Kansas(USA)
Dr. Bonnie Henderson (USA)
Dr. Francisco J Gutierrez-Carmona (Spain)
Dr. Albrect Henning (Germany)
Dr. Miguel Sarabia (Phillipines)
Dr. Kadil Jojo (Phillipines)
Dr. Johan Hutauruk(Indonesia)
Dr. Andika Prahasta (Indonesia)
- Dr. Syumarti (Indonesia)
Dr. Sharif Aamer (Egypt)
Dr. Khaled Mansour (Egypt)
Dr. Sanduk Ruit (Nepal)
Prof. Dr. Ava Hossain (Bangladesh)
Prof. Dato Vira Ramani (Malaysia )
Dr. Amporn Jongserjeet (Thailand )
Dr. Pipat Kongsap (Thailand)
Dr. Theeratep Tatyakom (Thailand)
Dr. Fayaz Khan (Kenya)
Dr. Donald Tan (Honkong)
- Dr. Satanshu Mathur
Prof. Dr. Ragini Parekh
Dr. Gopal Arora
Dr. Madhuri Dixit
Dr. Shekhar Paranjpe
Dr. S. P. Singh
Dr. Uma Pradhan
Dr. BNR Subudhi
Dr. Tanaji Morey
Dr. Rajesh Joshi
Dr. Ashok Nanda
Dr. Saroj Tripathy
Dr. Gaurav Luthra
Dr. Arup Chakravarti
Dr. Mahesh Dalvi
Dr. Arif Adenwala
Dr. Mazhar Sayed
- Dr. Prasad Walimbe
Dr. Anil Shah
Dr. Kamaljeet Singh
Dr. Ruchi Goel
Dr. Asim Silver
Dr. Harsh Bhattacharya.
Dr. Millind Killedar
Dr. Baban Dolas
Dr. Manjiri Malekar-Oak
Dr. Swapan Samant
Dr. Pratyush Ranjan
Dr. Shirish Thorat
Dr. Sudhir Singh
Dr. Umesh Rewanwar
Dr. Deepak Megur
Dr. Gayatri Katapali
Dr. Abhay Vasavada
Dr. Samar Kumar Basak
Dr. M.S. Ravindra
Executive Committee Member
Dr. Nita Shanbhag
Dr. Parul Shah
Dr. Arjun Ahuja